The Director of Mid-Childhood Ministry (Grades 3-6) provides direction and oversight for the children’s ministry at FUMC Allen by providing a warm and friendly environment for children, grades 3-6, and their families to learn about the love of Jesus Christ. The director works closely with the Director of Early Childhood Ministry and the pastor(s) to develop and implement programming for the spiritual formation of children and equipping parents to fulfill their calling as the primary spiritual leaders of their children.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a clearly defined vision and strategy for discipleship within the Children’s Ministry that works in conjunction with the overall vision and ministry of FUMC Allen.
- Oversee all programming and ministry for children in grades 3-6, including Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, summer programming, and special events.
- Choose and prepare age-appropriate curriculum and communication materials for each program.
- Develops and oversees a “worship readiness” curriculum for third graders in preparation for receiving their Bible.
- Develops and oversees all programming for the On-Deck Program for sixth graders in preparation for Confirmation.
- Works well with other staff members and volunteers to create safe and nurturing environments, activities and programming for each age group that will facilitate learning and encourage spiritual growth.
- Recruit, train, schedule and lead teams of volunteers.
- Continually seeks to reach out and assimilate new children and families through creative programming and intentional outreach.
- Collaborate with the Director of Early Childhood Ministry to plan, direct, and conduct special events, such as Vacation Bible School, Advent activities, Fall Festival, Easter Egg Hunt, etc.
- Develop and direct activities that promote missions for children, such as participation in Change the World and ministry to Boyd Elementary School.
- Maintains accountability and oversight for The Treehouse Special Needs Ministry
- Collaborate with the Director of Early Childhood Ministry to use the Children’s Ministry budget responsibly and help develop the budgetary needs for upcoming years.
- Develop and implement Christian parenting programs and activities.
- Attends weekly staff meetings, Administrative Council meetings, and other meetings as required.
- Stay current on topics and issues relating to children’s education such as social media influence, etc.. and applies knowledge to development of curriculum and programming.
- Seek professional growth opportunities through conferences and educational programs as well as spiritual growth, including attending worship services, personal Bible study, and prayer.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Two (2) years children’s education and/or programming experience preferred
- Experience in early childhood development, particularly grades 3-6, preferred
- Strong computer knowledge, including MS Office applications
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with all ages of children and adults
- Collaboration with different groups to accomplish goals
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a rapidly changing environment focused on growth
- Passion for children’s education and/or ministry
Reports To: Associate Pastor
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Working Hours: Part-time (20 hours per week)
Anticipated Schedule: Sunday 7:15am-12:30pm. Other hours as set with the Director for Early Childhood Ministry and Associate Pastor. During the year, additional hours may be necessary. All church staff will be asked to support and serve for religious holidays and worship services, including Christmas Eve and Easter.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to Rev. Jessica Wright at JessicaW@fumcallen.org