Every first Sunday of the month, when we come to receive communion in worship, we have the opportunity to give to one of our special mission offerings. The recipients vary from Send Hope, working with children and families in Honduras, to Project Transformation, impacting the lives of students in North Texas and lots of things in between.
But every so often, there’s a mission offering designated for “general missions.” This sounds a little vague, but your gift to our general missions fund makes lots of amazing things possible.
In the past year, our general missions fund has been used to serve and help others in a few different ways:
- Last November, we were able to provide enough mashed potatoes for students and their families at the Boyd Elementary Thanksgiving Feast.
- When children use their Bible Bucks to buy drinks or donuts at Missions Café, the general missions fund provides the real money to support Send Hope, Touching Lives in College, FUMC Allen’s Youth Ministry, and Military Support Group.
- This fund provides supplies and insurance for adult or family mission trips, such as our recent work in Honduras and on the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Harvey.
- We bridge gaps in funding for work with missions we support such as Project Transformation, Kairos Outside, Boyd Elementary Summer Lunch Program, Change the World Allen, and Habitat for Humanity.
- The fund supported our own mission efforts, including Thanksgiving meals for Meals on Wheels of Collin County clients and Kids Against Hunger food packaging.
Most recently, we were able to use our general missions fund to buy $2,220 in Wal-Mart gift cards to ensure that every family at the Back to School Bash was able to buy their students shoes before school started.
The next communion offering supporting our general missions fun will be Sunday, September 1.
Thank you for your support so that our church can respond faithfully to God’s call to serve others.