2021 Challenge: Read the Bible in a Year
With a new year, many of us we consider resolutions, focus words, and personal challenges. At FUMC Allen, we have challenged ourselves and each other to read the entire bible in a year.
Are you interested in digging deeper into the Bible? Have you tried on your own but weren’t successful? Do you want to read the Bible with a group? Make 2021 the year you do so. Bible reading groups are now forming within the church.
Members of the FUMC Allen staff will offer a variety of Bible reading class for everyone. Classes will vary in duration, daily reading, and meeting style.
- Children’s ministry will lead interested kids in grades 3-6 through the Connect Bible.
- The youth ministry will lead interested students through the Gospels and selected letters. Click here to learn more.
- Pastor Mary Beth will lead parents and other adults through the same material.
- Adult ministry has two offerings open for registration and will offer others through the year. For example, you can go deeper into the Bible by enrolling in the Disciple I class, which begins on February 3.
If you want to start a plan on your own, we encourage you to start with a plan. One way is to start with Genesis and keep going through Revelation. Or you can seek out a reading plan, which helps keep the readings guided and focused.
The graphic below is just one reading plan available to use as a self-study program. FUMC Allen’s lead pastor, Rev Mary Beth Hardesty-Crouch, is using this plan and leading discussion in the FUMC Allen Going Deeper Together group on Facebook. New members are welcome to join this private group as a safe and secure place to share discussion.
Here are some other events happening at our church:
- Our Youth Ministry is posting weekly videos as they study the bible together in 2021. Youth Online: Reading the Bible in a Year
- Susan Hale is hosting a short term virtual group that will get you started on your bible reading habit: Six Months Through Every Book in the Bible.
- Rev Jessica Wright hosts a Lenten bible reading group that begins in the gospels: The Gospels Through Lent
We’ll also post this monthly reading plan on our FUMC Allen Facebook page before the beginning of each month and in our first emails of the month.
Another resource is the YouVersion online bible app, which offers several different online reading programs. YouVersion’s Bible is the best overall reading experience because it’s easy to use, supports many versions, and it’s free!
Stay tuned for more details on additional reading groups as this program develops.