Holiday Challenge Kick Off Report
November 10 2021
by Rev. Jessica Wright
On Sunday, November 7, Kids Against Hunger set up in our gym for volunteers to assemble packages of highly nutritious vitamin-fortified meals. We saw 100 volunteers across three hours who packed a total of 20,352 meals. Send Hope will ship this food to the House of Hope in Honduras. We are grateful to everyone who gave their time and energy to help feed children and their families.
At the same time, our Military Support Group offered the opportunity to stuff stockings for our annual Stockings for Soldiers campaign. With the help of many volunteers, we were able to create 172 stockings which will be sent to men and women who will be deployed over the holidays. The 30 boxes shipped cost $1,054.35 to mail. Thank you for your generosity in bringing in snacks, tissues, jerky, notepads, chapstick, and many other items as well as funding the postage for this expression of love and support for our service members.
If you are looking for additional ways to serve this holiday season, we have a lot more going on!
- We are collecting food for the All Community Outreach Holiday Food Drive through Sunday, November 14.
- We will be setting up, serving, and cleaning up at the Boyd Elementary Thanksgiving Feast on Tuesday, November 16. You can sign up to help at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508044cacaa28a7f58-boyd. If you are not able to be there that night, help us by donating rolls or gravy by November 14.
- We are supporting the Boyd Elementary Holiday Shop, where students can “buy” gifts for their family members. Donations are being collected through November 17
- We are collecting gift items for tweens and teens at the House of Hope in Honduras November 28-December 19. These 18 children have gone without presents for the last two years! So pick up a bag for Send Hope Christmas and make their holiday a little brighter.
- We are collecting diapers for residents at the Samaritan Inn, especially sizes 3/4/5! Drop off your donation in the Diapers for Baby Jesus bin from November 28-December 24. You can also order diapers directly from Amazon, Wal Mart, Target, or any other online vendor and have them shipped directly to the church.
- We are collecting items for Streetside Showers from November 21 through December 12.
Details about all of our Holiday Challenge opportunities are available at www.firstallen.org/holiday-challenge.