LOCAL GRIEF SUPPORT GROUPS FOR ADULTS
FUMC Allen is pleased to host a grief support group within our church for those grieving the loss of a spouse. Our Grieving Hearts Group meets the second Tuesday of each month at 10:00am in the church’s community room. New members are always welcome, and the group is open to the community. The next meeting is Tuesday, February 13.
We are aware, however, that the pain of grief and loss is not limited to just the loss of a spouse. In fact, death occurs in so many different ways and impacts us all at different times of our lives. As a result, we have identified a need to bring about an awareness of the wide variety of groups that exist in our area that can help us through the many different situations of bereavement.
To this end, we have begun to compile on our website a list of Grief Support Resources available in the local DFW area. The initial compilation was graciously provided to our FUMC Allen staff by Susan Bryan, MA, LPC, formerly of VNA. Susan was the founder of grief group now meeting at our church. The original list was compiled by Barb Petsel LPC, FT, RN (retired) who you will meet via a video on our website as you scroll to the bottom of the page.
At this time, the list on our website is limited to Adult Grief Support Groups. We know that this is by no means a comprehensive list of all the resources in the DFW metroplex, even for adults. We also have access to a list of groups for young adults dealing with grief, those who have dealt with suicide loss, the loss of a parent, twin-less twins, homicide loss, and so much more. We hope that perhaps someday our list will be provide something for everyone seeking a path to recovery and community.
Please note that this list is not in any particular order, yet it has been updated to include winter and spring dates. And while each source has been checked and verified, we highly recommend you call the number provided by the organization for further information as schedules will change.
And of course, our pastors are available for support, prayer, and comfort for anyone dealing with grief and loss. Pastors Mary Beth, Josh, and Maxie can also help direct you to any specialized group in the metroplex.
If you are aware of any LOCAL grief support groups for adults that you would like to see added to this list, please contact email@example.com.
Visiting Nurse Association Hospice hosts various grief support meetings. Some of our groups are in-person, and some on the Zoom platform. VNA bereavement events are open to families and friends of VNA patients as well as to adults from the community. They are offered free of charge.
- Lunchtime Grief Support (ZOOM): Lunchtime grief support meetings provide an opportunity to hear a practical program about some aspect of the grief process with time for questions and discussion on the fourth Thursday each month.
- Monthly Grief Support in partnership with Methodist Hospital Generations (ZOOM) Second Mondays each month at 1:00pm-2:00pm. Register with the Generations program to access the Zoom session.
If you know of others who are grieving the loss of a loved one, you are welcome to invite them to join the VNA groups. To learn more, contact Sue Rafferty, LMSW, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 972.215.6128, for more information. Visit the VNA website for more meetings.
Grieving Hearts GroupS (Loss of spouse/partner)
This monthly support group focused on persons who have lost their spouse/partner. The group is open anyone or the wider community. In our time together, we will learn about the on-going journey of grief, how to care for ourselves, ask for what we need, and be able to share what we miss the most. This is a free community event.
- Grace Avenue United Methodist Church Second Sundays. 4:00pm to 5:15pm. 3521 Main St, Frisco, TX 75034. Contact Laura Echols-Richter at email@example.com for more information.
- First United Methodist Church of Allen Second Tuesdays. 10:00am to 11:00am. 601 S. Greenville, Allen, TX 75002. For more information, contact Sharon Rinewalt, 972.965.6545.
Grace Avenue UMC hosts grief group support sessions from Journey of Hope for children, adolescents, and their parents or adult caregivers who have lost a loved one to death. Find more information at www.johgriefsupport.org.
The Grief and Loss Center of North Texas provides unconditional acceptance, understanding, compassion, confidentiality, and hope. The community is welcome to participate in any of their groups for children, teens, and adults. All groups are free of charge.
All monthly meetings are offered through Zoom
- Parent Group for Child Loss by Suicide
- Parent Group for Child Loss
- Mom’s Group for Senior Adult moms who have lost an older adult child
- Loss of loved one by homicide
- Young Adult Group (19-35 year olds)
- Young Adult Spouse/Partner Loss Group (up to age 50ish)
- Spouse Partner Loss Group (50 and older)
- Family and Friends Group
An intake by phone is required before attending any of these groups. Contact Gail at the Grief and Loss Center at 214.452.3105. Their programs are not faith-based.
Christ UMC offers grief support for those who are experiencing the loss of a loved one, providing a “safe space” in which anyone can participate, regardless of where they are in their grief journeys.
Monthly grief support meetings are the third Monday of each month at 7:00pm in room N154. For more information or to be added to the email distribution list, please contact facilitator Margie Crews at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CUMC also offer a grief class every spring and fall to support individuals in their grief journeys. Their spring class is scheduled to begin March 12. Please visit their website for more info and a link to register.
The Fellowship Church Grief Support Group is a Christian support group for those who have experienced the death of a loved one. The church is located at 2450 N Hwy 121, Grapevine, Texas 75051. This faith-based community offers Grief Support on Wednesday at 7:00pm to 8:30pm (except for the holidays) in Room A2. Child care is available.
Participants watch video presentations by Christian grief counselors and discuss treasured truths from God’s Word. Meetings are in-person as well as virtual. Most importantly, we will come along side you through your sacred season of grief. For more information, text or email Roxanne Suggs 214.277.1409.
Trietsch Memorial UMC offers the grief seminar, Coping with Loss, which provides participants with opportunities to understand the emotional and physical dynamics of grief. Led by trained grief facilitators, participants learn about the grief process, share with others, give and receive support and develop healthy coping skills and activities.
We will help you decrease a sense of isolation and increase a sense of normalcy through contact with others in similar situations and share personal experiences within a safe, caring and understanding environment. These upcoming seminars are five weeks in duration and are free of cost.
- January 11 – February 8, 2024 | Thursdays 7:00pm
- April 11 – May 9, 2024 | Thursdays 7:00pm
- July 11 – August 8, 2024 | Thursdays 7:00pm
- October 10 – November 7, 2024 | Thursdays 7:00pm
Three Oaks Hospice offers bereavement support and in person and virtual weekly support groups. Contact them at 214.833.5078 or email@example.com Their facility is located at 331 Melrose Drive, Suite 230, Richardson, Texas 75080.
If you are grieving the death of someone you love and feel alone or overwhelmed by sadness, please join HPUMC for a “Beyond the Broken Heart” grief support group in February, led by Julie Yarbrough, author and HPUMC church member.
In a warm community of caring, together we will explore some of the practical issues of grief and discuss strategies for coping with everyday life. Through the wisdom of Scripture, the group will offer comfort and encouragement for the journey through grief and hope for life beyond grief.
The next session, led by Julie Yarbrough, is Tuesdays, February 13–March 19, 6:00pm–7:30pm, room 254. Cost $15, and scholarships are available. Register at this link by Friday, February 9.
The PHPC Care Ministry will begin a six-week grief support group on May 21. A “Good Grief” workshop meets on Tuesdays at 6:30pm in the PHPC Parlor. Rev. Mark Brainerd and Mahlon Hight will lead the group, and materials will be provided. The cost is $20, and scholarships are available. All materials are provided for this in-person group meeting at Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church 9800 Preston Rd. Dallas TX 75230. Sign up www.phpc.org/care
“Living with Loss” is an ongoing support group for people whose loved one has died of cancer. This group focuses on topics related to living with loss and moving forward with life after loss. They also offer 6-week groups quarterly groups and children’s groups. To join a support group, email the Dallas Program at firstname.lastname@example.org virtual and in-person groups.
- Dallas Bimonthly “Living with Loss” support group for adults who have been impacted by a loss due to cancer. An active group meets at the Dallas location the first and third Mondays of every month 6:00pm-8:00pm. A second group in Dallas may be forming due to the number of requests we currently have for Dallas. Call 214.345.8230. Meeting location is 8196 Walnut Hill Lane LL 10 Dallas TX 75231.
- Ft Worth Bimonthly group for adults impacted by a loss due to cancer. Meets out of our Tarrant County location on the second and fourth Thursday of each month 5:00pm-6:30pm. Call 682.212.5400 Meeting location is 10840 Texas Health Trail Suite 120 Ft Worth TX 76244.
ST MARKS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH MESQUITE
St Marks UMC hosts in-person grief recovery group, led by Ila Dennis, for anyone who has lost a loved one to death. It meets second Mondays at 2:00pm-3:00pm at St Marks United Methodist Church, 3117 Motley Dr. Mesquite, TX 75150. Call 972.279.8042 for additional information and/or check the website calendar for schedule updates.
The Lighthouse for New Hope offers groups for adults. They also serve families with children. They are located at 2717 Motley Dr., Mesquite, TX. Call 972.226.3110 or email info@LightHouseForNewHope.org
VITAS Healthcare support groups provide information and guidance to those experiencing grief and loss. They offer an assortment of phone-in support groups and Zoom video support groups, free of charge, to help meet the needs of caregivers. These support groups are offered by VITAS Bereavement Services.
Vitas offerings include ongoing support groups as well as a selection of support groups that last fora single session ranging from six to 22 weeks. Please check their website as new groups are added often.
For example, Vitas offers an ongoing men’s grief support group that meets monthly via telephone for 60 minutes per session. Men and Grief: First Fridays. 1:00pm ET / 12:00pm CT / 10:00am PT.
Community Healthcare of Texas offers a variety of grief support groups. For a complete list of program dates, visit their website for a calendar of events. Pre-registration is required.
- Individual Grief Support Short term (2-3 sessions) of individual grief support via phone, zoom, or in-person focusing on emotional support, education and coping strategies.
- Grief 101 Brown Bag Support Group. Huguley Hospice House 301 Medpark Circle Burleson TX 76208 Monday Jan 22 2024 12-3 PM Monday Feb 12, 2024 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Brown Bag Support Group. Community Crossroads 1516 Hemphill Ft Worth TX 76104 Tuesdays January 16-February 13, 2024 6-8 pm (Registration closes Jan 23, 2024)
- ONLINE Monthly Drop-in Group A semi-structured group that allows adults to connect with others experiencing grief. Second Wednesdays. 9:00am-10:00 am.
- “Finding Your Way After A Death” An online workshop on coping with grief through creative expression. Thursday February 22, 2024 at 6:00pm.
To register for any of these programs, call 800.958.5014 or email email@example.com.
TAPS provides compassionate care to all those grieving the death of a military loved one, active or retired, with grief counseling, groups and webinars. Call 800.959.TAPS (8277) or visit www.taps.org
Grief Share is a faith-based grief program that uses video lessons and discussion groups. Many of its groups are online; check their website to find ones near you.
- Church LYFE 605 South Greenville Avenue, Allen, TX 75002. Next meeting Tuesday February 27 2024 6:00pm-8:00pm
- First Baptist Church of Allen 201 East McDermott, Allen, TX 75002. Next meeting Sunday January 21 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Chase Oaks Church (Plano) 281 Legacy Drive, Plano, TX 75023 Next Meeting Thursday February 8 7:00pm-8:30pm
- Cottonwood Creek Baptist Church 1015 Sam Rayburn Tollway, Allen, TX 75013. Next meeting January 24 2024 6:30pm-8:00pm
“Help for Hurting Hearts” at FUMC Richardson is designed for those who have experienced the loss of a loved one. All are welcome, regardless of church affiliation. Participants will have the opportunity to share about their loved ones while learning about the grief journey, coping techniques, and theories on grief over six consecutive weeks of grief support. Registration opens one month prior to start date of each session. Contact Karen Varner for more information.
Winter 2024 Session: Sundays, January 28 – March 3, 2:30-4:00pm, Room 205. Registration is NOW OPEN.
Spring 2024 Session Thursdays April 4-May 9 at 11:30am to 1:00pm, Room 205 502 N. Central Expressway Richardson TX 75080 972.235.8385
“LIFE AFTER . . .” losing a husband/partner is FUMC Richardson’s monthly meeting for women at every stage following the death of a life partner. This is not a class but an open, safe, and loving space for sharing and support as we learn to flourish and live. The group meets Wednesdays January 10, February 14, and March 13 from 9:30am-10:30am. Ogden Fellowship Hall. No registration required. For questions, contact Karen Varner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 972.996.0138.
A relaxed social group helping widows, widowers, and seniors residing alone adjust and thrive by providing hope to reinforce a sense of wholeness and purpose in those who may be feeling lost or isolated. Join us in person once a month and enjoy a lunch, conversation, speakers, and door prizes as you mingle with new and old friends. Luncheons are held in various areas:
- Collin County/North Dallas Area Third Tuesday of each month at Outback Steakhouse 1509 N. Central Expressway Plano. RSVPs are due the Friday BEFORE the event. Contact Penny Nelson 972.407.6070 or Penny.Nelson@DignityMemorial.com
- Frisco/North Collin County Area Second Tuesday of each month at Stonebriar Funeral Home, 10375 Preston Rd. Frisco TX 75033. Reservations due the Friday before the luncheon. Contact Luisa Cepeda at Luisa.Cepeda@DignityMemorial.com or Lee Becknell at Leora.Becknell@Sci-US.com or call 214.705.1789 for details and reservations.
- Mesquite/East Dallas Area Second Tuesday of the month at 10:30am at Grove Hill Funeral Home, 3920 Samuell Blvd, Dallas, TX. Contact Mary Powell Mary.Powell@DignityMemorial.com or call 214.388.8887 for information and reservations.
- Ft Worth Area Meetings at various dates and times. Contact Deborah Canty Deborah.Canty@DignityMemorial.com or call 817.680.1588 for more information and reservations.
Videos and PoDcasts
Rising from the Ashes of Grief is a one-hour video recording on grief by Barbara Petsel, LPC, FT, RN, CDWF, given at First Presbyterian Church in downtown Dallas.
Faith & Grief is a local multi-faith, non-profit that was begun in 2008 to offer help, hope, comfort, and encouragement to those who have lost a loved one. They offer free in-person programs througout the DFW metroplex as well as virtual options. Offered locally and led by certified volunteer facilitators, each support gathering is an hour-long program that gives you time to talk about your loved one and your unique grief. Check their calendar of events for details. We’ve listed a few examples, but for more information, email email@example.com or call 469.616.1795.
- Hosted by Our Lady of Angels in Allen and St. Mark the Evangelist in Plano where the meeting is held each month. The next monthly meeting is February 7 at 12:00pm. Register HERE.
- Hosted by Arapaho UMC, Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church, and Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church, this support gathering meets on the third Thursday of each month from 12:00pm-1:00pm. The location rotates quarterly so be sure to note each meeting location. Register HERE.
- Faith & Grief sponsors the grief arch in Clyde Warren Park every year where you can write the name of a loved one on a ribbon and attach it to the arch. Visit their webpage for more information
Carson’s Village is a non-religious free service that assists families in all 50 states, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Advocates are provided immediately after a loss, and continuing support services for up to one year after a loss. The advocates can help coordinate the funeral, set up family support webpages to raise funds, and communicate the family’s wishes to their friends and family, and assess the families’ needs and find resources that can help.
Some of their services include free monthly online grief group support, peer-to-peer match ups, and special programming geared toward the grief and bereavement process.
Carson’s Village Monthly Grief Group Support Program provides an understanding of grief’s dynamics and explores the myths and what to expect after the passing of a loved one. The monthly meetings teach strategies to develop healthy coping skills to help you adjust to a life without your loved one. The group meets virtually on the second Tuesday of every month at 7:00pm CST and the last Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm CST. For more information, email Melissa Stephen or complete their contact from on website.